The department comprises three distinct research groups: Database and Web Technologies, Distributed, Embedded and Intelligent Systems, and Human-Centered Computing. The division in 3 groups reflects the department’s research profile and the decentralized responsibility for research, planning and teaching. The research group forms the basic social environment for the individual researcher.
Head of department
Phone: 9940 8921 / 2040 5457
The Head of Department is responsible for day-to-day leadership and management of the department, including planning and distribution of work while observing rules of proper governance. The Head of Department must ensure quality and coherence in the research and teaching activities carried out in the department and ensure that the department is capable of providing research-based teaching to the relevant study programmes.
DEPUTY HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Phone: 9940 7221 / 6093 7802
The Deputy Head of Department supports the Head of Department in providing effective leadership and management of the Department, and also act as the Head of Studies. The Deputy Head of Department must, together with relevant programme directors and study boards, follow up on evaluations of study programmes and teaching within the areas in which the department provides teaching resources.
The department’s full professors act as research leaders within their area of expertise. This includes defining and implementing research goals and strategies in their respective groups, as well as contributing to defining and implementing the department’s research strategy as a whole. Research leaders perform MUS with the scientific staff on their research group.
The primary responsibilities of the research leader are to:
- Motivate group researchers
- Organise research and knowledge transfer/sharing, cooperation and to ensure an efficient research environment
- Assist researchers in building up research projects
- Generate research projects
- Be responsible for the research evaluation every five year
- Initiate a research strategy for the department and the group in cooperation with the Head of Department
- Provide the group researchers with access to his/her international network and assist in establishing international cooperation
- Conduct yearly activities with group researchers determining their research plans
Research group coordinators
The research group coordinators are responsible for ensuring good cooperation between the research groups and the department. The research group coordinators refer to the Head of Department and d participates in the department’s coordination meetings each fortnight together with the Head of Department, Deputy Head of Department, Head of Administration, management support and the other research group coordinators.
The research group coordinator is appointed by the Head of Department based on a recommendation from the permanent staff in the research group.