The department comprises three distinct research groups: Database, Programming and Web Technologies, Distributed, Embedded and Intelligent Systems, and Human-Centered Computing. The division in 3 groups reflects the department’s research profile and the decentralized responsibility for research, planning and teaching. The research group forms the basic social environment for the individual researcher.
Head of Department
The Head of Department is responsible for the day-to-day management and administration of the department, including planning and distribution of work while observing rules of proper governance.
The Head of Department must ensure quality and coherence in the research and teaching activities of the department and ensure that the department is capable of providing research-based teaching to the relevant study programmes. The Head of Department must, together with relevant programme directors and study boards, follow up on evaluations of study programmes and teaching within the areas in which the department provides teaching resources.
The Head of Department conducts yearly employee interviews (MUS) with permanent scientific staff members.
Deputy head of department
Full professors (from left: Christian Søndergaard Jensen (DPW), Torben Bach Pedersen (DPW), Katja Hose (DPW), Bin Yang (DPW), Kim Guldstrand Larsen (DEIS), Jiri Srba (DEIS), Jesper Kjeldskov (HCC), Peter Axel Nielsen (HCC), Mikael B. Skov (HCC).
The full professors are research leaders that formulate the goals and strategies within the department’s research fields.
The main responsibilities for the research leader are to:
- Motivate group researchers
- Organize research and knowledge transfer/sharing, co-operation and to ensure an efficient research environment
- Assist researchers in building up research projects
- Generate research projects
- Be responsible for the research evaluation every five year
- Initiate research strategy for the department and the group in cooperation with the head of department
- Provide the group researchers with access to his international network and assist in establishing international co-operation
- Conduct yearly activities with group researchers determining their research plans
Research Group coordinators
The research group coordinator refers to the head of department and is responsible for ensuring a good cooperation between the research group and the department. The research group coordinator is part of the management structure of the department and participates in the department’s coordination meetings each fortnight together with the head of department, deputy head of department, head of secretariat, management support and the other research group coordinators. At the meetings, information is exchanged and issues concerning the day-to-day business of the research groups and the department are coordinated, and the long-term strategy is discussed. The research group coordinator takes care of the daily management at the research group level in a proactive way. Initiatives implemented by the research group coordinator can be carried out by the research group coordinator himself or can be delegated to other members of the research group.
The main responsibilities for the group coordinator are to:
- Inform the research group on a regular basis about both academic and administrative matters (including see to the information flow e.g. in connection with various communications)
- Act as the management’s point of contact into the research groups
- Manage the research group’s grants for local expenses and travel
- Introduce guests and new employees to the research group (including see to that new employees are welcomed on their first day)
- Support a good working environment
- Support the implementation and maintenance of the department’s strategy
The research group coordinator manages the research group’s grants for local expenses and travel. The size of the local grants is decided by the department budget and varies according to the number of scientific staff in the group. The research group coordinator is appointed by the head of department based on recommendation from the permanent staff in the research group. The appointment period is three years and the current appointment period started on September 1 2019.
The secretariat supports the department in all administrative tasks e.g. EU-matters, PR and communications, fundraising, financial management, educational planning and support, personnel administration.
In addition the secretariat provides general service to employees in connection with meetings.
Head of Secretariat: Helle Westmark